Thursday, May 31, 2012

50 Shades of Grey (or maybe red)

Who isn't talking about 50 shades of Grey? Early and late night talk shows, Dr. Phil, daytime talk shows, book clubs, dinner dates and girl's luncheons that's who!!  Now, not only are writers commiserating about it but complaining because a bidding war for movie rights has given E.L. James (incidentally not her real name...shocker) unprecedented rights to the script, casting, editing and most all other considerations during filming (along with a mere 5 million bucks....  not even JK Rowling got all that!
For those of you who haven't heard of the book, ( because you've been in a Siberian prison or living on top of Mt. Everest) it is an epic saga of a naive, young, college graduate who learns about love and sex in an odd way and tries to help her teacher transform into the man he should have been allowed to grow into.  His introduction to sex was as bizarre as hers....therefore explaining a bit of each's obsession with love, sex and each other.
If you were to go to the library in Skaneateles it is told, and placed your name on the waiting list for one of the many copies it lends, you would be # 701 as of yesterday!! I, on the other hand, a lover of hard (and I use the word differently now) copy books,  decided to purchase the trilogy through my Kindle.  My library is suffering due to my new obsession with technology but my shelf space is limited in the new house and I found I needed to bite the bullet and change my ways.... not an easy task for me!
The book was originally believed to be written for the new genre of bizarre readers of such novels as Twilight and the Hunger Games but quickly spread (another word I use differently) to the married and over 30 sector of female readers.
Yesterday, during our monthly ladies' luncheon, the book was discussed...Amazing how 11 gals could have 11 different opinions...OK, maybe not really all that amazing. It was described as everything from mind boggling and thoughtful to raunchy and risque'.  Some had read it, some were reading it, some had stopped reading it and one wondered what the hell it was!! Our differences so make the world go round!!
There's lots of speculation about who the stars will be. It appears that Ms. James prefers unknowns.....All I really know is they won't be unknowns for long! 
I must run as my Kindle is calling, my lip is healing from the biting and mind is longing for stimulation and knowledge!! We're never too old to live vicariously through others.....so they say!!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment