Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Good, Bad ......or indifferent.....

I am a reader.....maybe that in itself will save my life...or kill me.  Every morning I faithfully read the Post Standard... sometimes I refer to it as the Sub Standard (when I see all the grammatical and spelling errors) but generally it provides the service of local and national news, sports scores and tidbits, our horoscopes (which I read and instantly forget), my morning brainteaser, The Jumble and health information.....The last of which I will discuss this morning. Within the last 2 days, I have learned that Vitamin D helps prevent diseases....You can get Vitamin D from the sun....which also gives you skin cancer so please stay out of the sun and drink lots of milk, unless you're lactose intolerant or if you don't like milk....then BUY vitamin D capsules..(now we know who penned that article)  I also learned that if you eat 2 ounces or more of black licorice a day for at least 2 weeks you could experience irregular heartbeat...Go ahead and eat red licorice as it contains NO licorice root (then why the hell is it called licorice?).Steer clear of topical oils..............which I thought you rubbed on your body but apparently we eat them daily...They're the oils that keep foods from separating..like peanut butter and whipped cream. They are emulsifiers and are found in palm trees and coconut oil. (That squelches my retirement in Hawaii). We need vitamin B-12....if deficient in this vitamin we could have muscle weakness, vision problems, mood disturbances, forgetfulness,..... muscle weakness, vision problems, mood disturbances and forgetfulness..................and an unsteady gait. I see this vitamin in my near future and if it cures mood disturbances... everyone's getting some for Christmas!!  Last but certainly not least...mild alcohol consumption could contribute to breast cancer....hmmm 2-3 drinks a week ups the percentage 15%..2 a DAY..51%. but don't forget to drink at least a glass of wine a day to help stave off heart disease. Holy cow...I guess it's up to us to literally choose our poison. From what I can tell, the best medicine might be to just stop the reading the morning paper...or at least the Health section..it appears that's hazardous to my health!

No comments:

Post a Comment