Monday, July 25, 2011

Planning

Planning in organizations and public policy is both the organizational process of creating and maintaining a plan; and the psychological process of thinking about the activities required to create a desired goal on some scale. As such, it is a fundamental property of intelligent behavior. This thought process is essential to the creation and refinement of a plan, or integration of it with other plans, that is, it combines forecasting of developments with the preparation of scenarios of how to react to them.

Two attitudes to planning need to be held in tension: on the one hand we need to be prepared for what may lie ahead, which may mean contingencies and flexible processes. On the other hand, our future is shaped by consequences of our own planning and actions.

As with most addictions, I know the first step is simply admitting it. I AM A PLANNER!  A very good friend of mine taught me long ago, "It's better to be ready and not go, then to go and not be ready!".. Chances of me going and not ready are slim to none. We're going camping this week-end and I'm ready...at least I have my lists prepared.  I make lists, lots and lots of lists. Lee and Jeff's great Alaskan adventure next month is planned to the best of my ability.  Their tickets are purchased, their first 2 nights rooms are reserved and new underwear is packed.  From there on, they're on their own....which frightens me a bit but I'll survive. I know when they're leaving and when they're coming back....in between will work itself out. Some of Bailee's school supplies are purchased...the rest are "on a list" to accomplish when we have a shopping week-end while Papa and Uncle Jeff are away. No firm Halloween plans as of yet but we're thinking about it. Bailee and Uncle Jeff's November birthday gifts are purchased. I have much of my Christmas shopping completed.  I have my Christmas 2011 ornaments purchased and I'm awaiting wrapping paper for their Thanksgiving disbursement.  Florida plans are tentatively in the books: Jerome stays home this year, we don't leave till February and will stay into March for a surprise for Lee.  (There's a national trap shoot on the west coast and we're going...mums the word)  A shooting week for him,  a condo/beach week for me!. (No, I haven't yet packed for that).

I even have a book that lists all our insurance policies, important numbers, health info for us and Mom, passwords, accounts, business info and the fact that I want Beach Boy's music played at my Memorial party.  Hopefully, I'll be 90 but "we'll" all be listening to God Only Knows!  (That's a song, not the fact that I couldn't remember the names of any).

I'm sure many believe this is a bit anal but then when have I ever cared what people believe? I've always been a planner. I like to be prepared.  Heck, I've studied for an eye test, a stress test and a pelvic exam....all of which, btw, I aced!

So. make fun of me if you may. but while you all are scrambling to arrange, calculate, conspire, devise, plot and contrive, I have already organized, shaped, projected, formulated and COMPLETED my tasks. This will allow me to stresslessly ( new word of the day) relax and enjoy......

After all,
A plan can play a vital role in helping to avoid mistakes or recognize hidden opportunities. Preparing a satisfactory plan of the organization is essential. The planner has  thought through its development in terms of products, management and finance.

Planning helps in forecasting the future, makes the future visible to some extent. It bridges between where we are and where we want to go. Planning is looking ahead.
And I can see for miles and months:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment