Thursday, June 9, 2011

Taxes and Technology

A year ago, sales tax "day" rolled around and I began to search for my quarterly forms.  It seemed odd that I had misplaced them as I always put them in the same place.  I called Albany for replacement forms and was told they had "discontinued" sending the forms but they could be downloaded online. I asked why we hadn't been notified in a timely manner....or any manner for that matter. Their reply was they hadn't be able to "get to everyone yet".  I asked her, politely of course, Well, what would happen if I didn't pay my sales tax and gave them the excuse that I wasn't able to "get to them yet."  She chuckled as she thought I was joking. I wasn't!
  Long story short, I downloaded the forms, filed and paid on time and all was well.  A few months later I received a notice that we now had the option to download the forms and submit by mail or file directly online. I chose to remain as "old school" as I could and continue with my paper trail.  I was taught many years ago by my mentor, Stella, that keeping copies and a paper trail was a good thing.  A few weeks ago I received yet another  proclamation from the tax department... the same one that had the trouble getting out the first edict.  Beginning with the  March 2011 sales tax return, the Tax Department (not sure why that warrants capital letters) is requiring quarterly sales tax filers to: file their returns online; and make online payments by electronic withdrawal from their bank accounts.  CRAP !!
Now, I don't mind paying (shopping) with my debit card but I have issues with having access to my checking and savings account routing numbers.... In fact, the very LAST people I want to have any knowledge of them is the NYS government.  But, as in most tax issues, nobody asked me and I have no say. So, yesterday morning I got online and began the process of setting up my online business tax account.  Filled in all the info.......wrong Tax ID number.....So I call the "help line"... thank God I'm not (yet) trying to commit suicide as I was put on hold with a wait time of "approx. 22 minutes."....I finally was blessed with a human (of sorts) and he explained that the number had been changed but he couldn't give it to me because I wasn't the business owner and didn't have permission to access the files.....but he would connect me to someone that might be able to assist me (ahhh, assisted suicide).... and might I add it was 90 degrees outside and I don't have A/C.  Once again, I'm on hold and my wait time is "approx. 20 minutes". OMG.. hang me from the highest tree!!!!!!!!  After well over one hour on the phone, I had the number I needed.  Back to the website to finally get this damn account activated.  All the correct numbers are entered.... after trying various usernames and passwords, big red letters pop up saying, You have unsuccessfully tried to set up this account more than five times. Please try again in 24 hours.  Give me a gun!....
Here I am back in my den, windows open, breezes blowing, fans humming and I am now "managing administrator for "our" sales tax online , business account. BFD...yes, as a matter of fact it was.  If nothing else, it has given me one more positive to put on my pros and cons list for Lee's retirement options.  Tomorrow I will tackle actually filling out the sales tax form online and submitting my payment electronically....if only I could find where I wrote down my password :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment