Thursday, April 7, 2011

Phenology

Another 'ology.....This one helps us get through Springology....  Phenology....

Phenology

Look to animals and plants to tell you how the seasons are progressing! This is called phenology, derived from the Greek “phaino,” which means “to show” or “to appear.”

Watch plants leaf, buds burst, trees fruit, animals hibernate, birds and butterflies appear, and insects emerge, and you’ll find that nature tells you what time of year it is—which affects this year’s planting dates, wildflower viewing, beekeeping,  allergy season, and more!

For example, here are ways in which we plant by nature's signs in our neck of the woods:
• Plant peas, beets, and lettuce when the first leaves appear on the lilac bush.
• Plant corn, beans, and squash when the lilac blooms.
• Plant cabbage when the dogwood is in full bloom or when apple tree blossoms bud.
• Set out tomato transplants when the first ladybugs appear.
(Thanks Farmer's Almanac)

Well our snow is finally gone..even the plowed up, dirty piles. My daffodils and tulips are "up" and I'm going out to check the blossom progress on our lilacs.  The sun is actually trying to shine and I hear we're in store for one day in a row of the bright, yellow stuff. They're saying 73 for the beginning of next week but I'm not falling for it. I think they got their April 1 and April 7 forecasts mixed up.  April Fool....not me!!! (well actually, it is me ). Anyway, it's time for the golf cart to come out of hibernation, the rake to come out of storage and the seeds to hit the soil.  Bailee even learned in school this week that if you mix "soil and water you get mud!" Genius!!!  Today I'm getting out my beautiful, plaid L.L. Bean  barn boots and hit the Walnut Grove and the back yard for some signs of the season and some waterfall photos.  I love my backyard!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment