Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Everyday Book Club

For years I was a loyal member of the Doubleday Book Club....The above books have become my new Everyday Book Club selections.  The Low Cholesterol book is pretty informative... explains what is is, how it's formed and how to reduce and/or fix it.  Crestor will help but it doesn't come without it's side effects and the fact that it's another pill forever... and we do want forever to be a long time from now.  We did learn that anything derived from anything with a heartbeat has cholesterol so we're back to eating peanut butter again. It's a little indulgence that Lee enjoys.  We sat down on Sunday and perused the recipes. They're really not too bad and we can still eat most of the same things we like... it's pretty much all in the preparation.  No more fatty oils, we're on to olive oil (which we've always enjoyed) and canola oil. No more REAL butter.. that one hurts!!!  Red meat is a weekly treat on cheat night and fish has been added to our menu. :-(.. We like haddock and we did enjoy some tilapia the other night but most other fish, like fresh fish, is at the bottom of our food chain.  Shellfish we like too... but without all the dripping butter it's like eating just the stick of the fudgesicle.  I just returned from the Modern Market and my grocery bill for the next few days was $100.50. Holy cow, that's a lot for us...Cereal is nearly $5 a box and boneless, lean chops and lean burger aren't cheap.  I hit the vegetable aisle pretty well but with fresh veggies, comes fresh flatulence.  A meal of venison and broccoli is now followed by open windows and copious sprays of lilac air freshener.. to the point where, I'm afraid, lilacs will now smell like farts... My mind and nostrils are so confused.  Our new eating lifestyle has provided us with our new spring project.  We're turning part of our garage into an "adjacent, well ventilated, extra" kitchen.  I know, I barely use the one I have why in the hell would I need two I don't use?   Lee will use it...  You know the old saying from Field of Dreams...If you build it, they will come... Well If he cooks it, he will eat it  !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment