Thursday, November 11, 2010

Stories=History

Originally Armistice Day, commemorating the signing of the agreement that ended World War I at 11:00 A.M., November 11, 1918, this federal holiday was changed to Veterans Day in 1954. At that time, it became a day to honor all the men and women who have served in the armed forces of the United States.  Consider spending some time on-line learning more about our nation's veterans. The Great War Society has developed a Web site devoted to World War I educational materials. The World War II Memorial celebrates the victory of "the greatest generation" with a design that uses moving water to harmonize with its natural surroundings. Visit the Korean War Veterans Memorial online; this moving memorial, dedicated in 1995, is the latest addition to the National Mall in Washington, D.C. See a registry of all the names on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington. Learn more about the military men and women who are on duty today.

I hadn't had any knowledge of the armed services through my family until I journeyed to Florida a few years ago to settle my Grandma's estate. In her belongings ,was a written journal accompanied by a photo album of my Grandpa's tour of duty during WWI. Along with his medals, was his infantry helmet "sporting" a rather large dent. His accounting of that day gave me a new and proud insight into war- its soldiers, its casualties and its heroes..Thanks Gramp..till then I never knew!

No comments:

Post a Comment