Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hear that?




If a tree falls in the woods and no one's there to hear it, does it make a sound?  Remember that profound statement that you probably debated in English or Philosophy class?  Well, the other morning, precisely at 1:40 a.m. a tree fell in the woods....................and I heard it...even though I was sound asleep and nestled in my bed.  One of the reasons I love having our bedroom virtually in the woods... I can open the window (which generally remains open 24/7) and hear the roaring of the falls, the trickle of the creek and rustling of the leaves.  And of course, the trees falling. I know our woods are full of deer, turkeys, coyotes and even a stray bear or boar but I love it out there.  Even in the dark, I have no fear.... maybe that's not too smart but sitting out there is amazing.  We sat out by a bonfire not too long ago and listened to two owls talking.  I'm not sure whooooo they were speaking of but they definitely had a conversation going on.  I have never seen a wild owl (other than the zoo).  It's on my bucket list along with a loon.  I have no longing desire to travel to Africa to see giraffes, lions and tigers or to venture several leagues under the sea. I an very content to hear the rustling of the leaves, the gobbles of the turkeys,  the howls of the coyotes and the hoots of the owls. There's something very calming and peaceful about EIEIO.  I've learned the birds' songs and their flight patterns, the chipmunks hiding spots and the squirrels favorite munching branches.  I've even learned to identify the tiny little "handprints" on my den door from the raccoons who thought they needed a peek into MY digs.
So when a tree falls in my woods, I'm planning on being right here to hear it and all the other wonderful sounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment