Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween Prep

This was always my favorite holiday just after Christmas.  I can remember sitting at my Mom's
 dressing table getting ready for a night of trick or treating.  I actually think I enjoyed it more after 10 years old but maybe it's just that I remember it better. I really don't have the best recollection of my costumes but I remember the houses with the best treats.  Some had prepared individual bags for each treater loaded with all my favorites.  Back then it wasn't necessary to have your candy examined ... by anything more than your tonsils.  I would methodically sort my favorites, trade with my friends and make it last as long as possible.  In my house, my sister was 5 years older and my brother 8 so I don't ever remember t or t (ing) with them...nor do I remember my parents going with me but I'm sure they did in the early years.  Also, our neighborhood was pretty safe and everyone knew everyone.  I do remember the pranks!  Somehow I though that someone burning a bag of sh-- on Mrs' R's porch was hilarious.  She did, however; give out wonderful treats....she was one of the ones w/ little bags!  The next morning,there would always be a strategically placed outhouse somewhere in town....usually near the bank on the corner. Toilet paper would be flapping in the breeze throughout all the trees on Main Street and if you weren't careful, you might step on a smashed egg or two.

So in that same spirit, we're preparing for Halloween this Sunday.  We carved pumpkins, we painted and made one into Cinderella's transformed coach and we've placed HUGE ones in front of the house as decorations. Today, I'm putting the finishing touches on Bailee and Jess's costume.  They've been a "team act" each year and have been lucky enough to win a prize each time.  The first year, before she even arrived, Bailee was a"bun in the oven", her Mom was the Oven...literally and her Dad the baker.....1st prize.  The next year she was a beautiful little monkey and her Mom was a Banana...1st prize. Next she was a sheep and her Mom was Big Bo Peep...1st prize. Last year the venue changed to Moravia and they won with Bailee being the UPS man and her Mom was a giant package ready for delivery.  This year's costume is driving us buggy....we'll share some photos on Monday morning.  Might be a tricky night as Miss B has to go to Daddy's in Cortland for 2 hours.  She'll be one tired but......oops, almost gave it away......

No comments:

Post a Comment