Thursday, June 27, 2013

Little Robin Red Breast

My cute little robin has returned to my front porch, door window.  A few weeks ago she persistently built a nest and laid four robin's egg blue (Oh, that's where that came from) eggs. We had a cat bird (so to speak) seat as we could watch them hatch, eat, grow and fledge from inside the house.  It was only a couple of weeks and they were off.  Next we cleaned off the nest, the mud and the bugs and washed the window.  Our little birdternity ward was spic and span and closed!!

SHE"S BAAAAACK!  I saw a few dried pieces of grass hanging by the door.  I swept them away.  She put them back. I swept them away. She put them back. I swept them away. She put them back and sat on them. I scared her away and Lee set a brightly colored coffee mug on her nesting spot. She put them back!  Survival of the Fittest at EIEIO....... I finally parked my broom, bristles up, securely in the drip edge of the door frame.  So far, 48 hours and she has not returned. She's smarter than I gave her credit for if she stays away.  For if she returned, I was preparing to bring new meaning to the term....robin RED breast!  We might have been the first household to murder in warm blood, the bird whose arrival signifies spring! The first batch was cute, warm and fuzzy.  The novelty wore off quickly and the second batch would have been messy, annoying and shitty....literally.

This nest seemed to be bits of hay (from a bale by the creek, hair from some critter (we're surrounded by many) and mud (no shortage of that lately.)  I've always cleaned our hair brushes in the spring (mostly mine as a humming bird couldn't build a nest from what Lee has left) and thrown the hair out on the lawn in hopes of helping our feathered neighbors build their nests.  This could be the perfect example of "be careful what you wish for!"

No comments:

Post a Comment