Thursday, June 6, 2013

Across the Pond

A football franchise in London..........England? Lots of chatter in the past few days since Roger Goodell (commissioner) once again brought up the possibility.  Soccer, which is known as football in Europe, is hugely popular. I watch it with much verve and adoration...oh wait, that's David Beckham I watch. Anyway, the prospect of an NFL team calling London home is interesting at best.  It has worked for baseball teams to be located in Canada...that's another country! Although fans can actually drive there. The difference in currency obviously has been worked out and you still don't have to have a passport to get back and forth...unless you're flying.  I guess if I had to fly to see a football game, I'd stay home...which everybody knows is my favorite thing to do and my favorite place to be.
The question now is, "who goes?"  The insiders seem to think the Jacksonville Jaguars are topping the list.  Or should we say "Jag-u-ars."  Moot point, they'd the London something...The trend. or maybe rule, in Europe is that the sports teams are singular. I'm thinking London Bridge or maybe even London Fog or hey, how about the Old England Patriot?



I'm assuming the leagues would remain the same...NFC and AFC and of course the NFL itself. But hey, don't the N's stand for national and the A for American? I guess Toronto doesn't care in the baseball world so maybe London won't care either.
Projections are, the move may be as soon as 5-10 years away. By that time, they might have the logistics in place to get the teams, their players and their firearms, their drugs and their families safely into a country whose police force doesn't even carry weapons.
Who knows bloke, it might not even come to pass and we can just lowe it......seeen! (That would be: who knows my friend, it may not even happen and we can forget it....yeah whatever!)   And that was English too!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment