Monday, December 3, 2012

Happy Anniversary T.M.

Text messaging celebrates anniversary

I remember our first cell phone came in a bag that probably wouldn't fit in an overhead compartment.  I bought it "for Lee"..(.yeah right) on the premise that if I give it as a gift he wouldn't get mad (like I really gave it that much thought). It was very cool....Our first outing with it was to Silver Springs to race motocross. We never stopped to think that anybody we wanted to call was already with us... Anyway, it was a moot point as cell towers were few and far between and motocross tracks were always out in the boonies. The first "I told you so!" from Lee!
As the years went by we upgraded and added minutes to our plans, we learned to share and not make senseless calls using up valuable minutes. Soon the kids were old enough to have them and then came texting....20 years ago to be exact.  We didn't need to text and it took us several years before we realized it had it's perks.  Lee was "never gonna text! If I want to say something to somebody, I can sure as hell call them and talk to them"......forgetting that hearing them might be nice!!.  So now fast forward to 2011....Santa brings Leroy an iPhone...Leroy who barely yet knew how to do anything short of "hello" on his old phone.  FF again to 12-2-12....I decided I would buy myself a Christmas present.  Seldom due I splurge on me and I had an "itchin" to do just that... Wild woman on the loose.....with an iPhone 5:-)  So Jess, my in house tech guru. calls and asks all the questions that I had barraged her with.  Come to find out, I use about 1/2 GB and Lee uses over 1............Yep, the very same fellow who was "never gonna text" shares more data than I... Do you know how many dead deer and big boobs  one entire GB is???????? LOTS.  So, when I switch over my 4 to 5 we will be sharing 4gs of memory which ought to do us until the next fancy device hits the market.  I won't have to worry about a 5 for Lee as Siri would soon tire of hearing "what" all those times during their conversations and enlighten all Verizon representatives that she was not compatible with the hearing impaired. (welcome to my world, Siri).   But nonetheless, I'm celebrating the 20th Anniversary of text messaging by treating myself to a device that will answer my questions, allow me to search the world, keep me in touch with my family and almost anything else I wish for.....I especially enjoy it on "vibrate".  Mmmmmmmerrrrrryyyyy Chhhhriisttmmassss tooo meeee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment