Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Internet

The technology and the medium of the Internet amazes me.  I've extolled the virtues of Face Book ad nauseam. I love the family and friends connection and reconnection it provides. I could do without the minimal drama but I'm beginning to take that with a grain of salt..(in my bloody mary.) But, I am still blown away by the magnitude and ease (usually) that things can be accomplished.  Just recently, Jeff applied online for a few jobs...fill in the online applications, attach your resume, whip up and attach a cover letter and ...voila.. ( NOT walla..it's French for "here it is") you've applied. There have been a few friends and friends of friends who have recently suffered tragedies.  Websites have been set up for them through sites such as Gofundme.com and Caring Bridge. In the span of a single week, thousands of dollars (and more) have been donated to help these families.  And they aren't huge donations either...$10, $25, $50 and so on..... Simply amazing how folks can rally around and together alleviate some of the financial burden that these families must carry through unthinkable times.  Things as little (or big) as parking, meals, daycare, everyday bills and just day to day essentials that add up are wiped away by donations that are minimal in dollars and priceless in peace of mind. Without the technology and ease of the Internet, these stories wouldn't be told and certainly wouldn't reach and touch the hundreds (and thousands) of good hearted folks who peruse Face Book and all forms of social media.  I don't tweet as I'm a twit and can't figure out even the simplicity of Twitter but I'm sure that avenue of social media is even more than I can fathom...#I'm an idiot..whatever that means..Last I knew it was the number sign and meant pounds....whatever.
But, for all the hacking, spying and spamming, I still revel in the connection and comfort that the Internet can afford.  It's become like electricity, cell phones and chocolate....things I take for granted and can't survive without. Once again, #Iamoldanddependant!  (That would read "old" not "mold!")

No comments:

Post a Comment