Monday, December 30, 2013

Which Way?

As I was sitting down at my desk and wondering what to pen, I thought, "Should I look in the rear view mirror or straight out the windshield?" I try to be a glass half full kinda gal and not really dwell on the past but then I think about the gift of memory and I think maybe I should look back too.  So let's do a little of both.
2013 was an OK year.  We all had another birthday which is a very good thing. Some of my pals think birthdays are for kids or no big deal.  I think they're a very big deal.  Not having one...just sucks....for everybody!  So, at EIEIO, each one is celebrated to the hilt. Lottery picks for awhile are 7, 31, 35, 61, 63 and 38 (years in wedded bliss)...that number varies depending on who you ask!!  Relatively good health was with us all with a few viruses and aches and pains thrown in for good measure.  Some of us lost teeth....some will grow new ones..........some won't!  It was a year that saw the economy get a little boost...even in home sales.  Jeff was finally able to sell his house in Charlotte and we, ours in Locke.  We all could not be happier for that outcome..................and income!  The 100 + year old family business (until 2007) was piece mealed away and exists no longer... probably my saddest event for 2013.  I find it a bit hard to fathom that this was what Dad had foreseen for it's future but then again, he was a mental man....not one to easily accept change technology that kept the brain from working to it's fullest capacity. Many see that as progress and advancement.  He saw it as....well he just chose not to see it.....! enough of the rear view mirror......

Straight ahead I see............possibly a year of changes.  We're in that stage of our lives where we need to make big, Billy Fucillo, changes....retirement for Lee?  sell the shop?  begin social security?  We're not really the best at accepting change either so these decisions are daunting.  I have a notebook that shows most things in black and white..............and red.  Owning your own business has it's perks but many less than most people assume.  Your pension plan is what you've saved!  HOLY SHIT....we were supposed to save??????  This planning apple didn't fall too far from the tree... We won't starve but our diet may change.
I will be learning one new word a day this year.  This could affect my blog so beware!  You may be the recipients of rambling posts about saponaceous mannerisms or imbricate dominoes. (we'll all learn together!)  I will be outside more and in my recliner less... this is a toughie!  Per advice from my daughter, I will be purchasing less for birthdays and holidays..unless of course, it's for her!  I will keep my desk neat and clean.  My 3rd grade teacher, Miss Ames, tried that in 3rd grade and I've improved at a snail's pace. And last but not least, I will try my hardest to be nicer.... I even bought a sign to remind me daily.
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment