Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Giving Tuesday

We've made it through Black Friday and Cyber Monday arriving safely at Giving Tuesday.  This is a relatively new holi"day" intended to pique our interest in giving and share our wealth...if we still have any extra in our wallets.  As I mentioned previously, Bailee and I have our sights on the kids at Semillas de Amor in Guatemala.  We're focusing on Fatima most of all.  I figured at this time of my life I would probably be in need of a sponsor myself...someone in AA or GA or even SA (shoppers Anonymous) but I'm thrilled that we are able to be the sponsor.  Semillas de Amor is not your average orphanage or at least what we have always perceived.  These children are loved!  They are taught by caring teachers and given the best possible life they can afford.  Thankfully, some of he things these kids are being taught cannot be purchased.  They're learning gratitude, patience, hope and love.  Those things do not come from wallets or checkbooks.  These children write thank you notes ( I know many living here that don't), they pose for pictures with bright smiles and warm hearts and they give back the love they obviously are receiving.  I think they even love those they've never met. Some of us have trouble loving those we see every day:-(
So today, on Giving Tuesday, I'm hoping that my friends and family will feel good about what they have and share.  The only rich you need to be is in your heart... corny I know, especially from me but we all have that extra $20 and giving it to someone else is really a gift right back to you.  I learned that early on from my Dad... he used to give us gifts on HIS birthday.  Now I know why:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment