Thursday, December 5, 2013

The End of an Era

:-(   Today I'm walking around with a bit of a heavy heart.  Everything else I carry is heavy too so it should feel at home.  They say I have a fatty (lumpy) liver and I know most everything else ( above and below the belt) is lumpy too but I've always managed to keep a happy heart and have a glass half full attitude.  We've talked about the whole accepting change thing in our little blog discussions but the talking really doesn't make it easier.  100 + years is a long time to run a successful, small business.  It's made it through depressions and recessions and even fires and now it's kaput! I saw the handwriting on the wall when the fertilizer business was sold then the fuel business was sold and now the feed business has been sold. The real estate remains but this too will be marketed when the mill and bins are dismantled.  The storefront will stay open to sell some bulk product for a couple of years but the guts are history... I think the guts died on December 24, 2006!  I'm not second guessing the decisions made by management and it is rightly their choice to make...so says my head but my heart keeps interrupting.

Hewitt Brothers served many people for many years and I'd like to think it will be remembered fondly as an icon in the small town business world...it will surely be remembered in my world:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment