Monday, September 23, 2013

Technologically challenged

I've always embraced a good challenge....like finding a product at a lower price, or researching just the perfect gift.  I will hunt down an address or phone number and stalk Google until the perfect airplane fare pops up.  I'll sort through pictures until I find the one where Dad is wearing his plaid pants and I'll find that pair of curtains that perfectly matches that ottoman.  I will even read all I can find about Common Core just to understand how the hell to " DRAW to explain how to add 7 and 6 by making ten!!" ( I'm still looking..)   but other things like technology, are trying my patience.  For instance:  I clicked change on my yahoo home page at the very same instant my delayed brain was reading that if I did so I could never (and that's a very long time) change back to my old, familiar page.  I should have put more value in the word home and realized that I liked it just the way it was.  Now I'm in a quandary about whether or not o change my operating system on my phone from ios6 to ios7!  If I change it, to get all those "great new features", will I ever again be able to find my wonderful old features that took me the past 6 months to be friends with?  My nephew, the computer genius, says to just "run a full backup to my PC first. When you install IOS7, plug into power source but not your PC so it doesn't auto backup after the fact." If I could do that, I'd be working at NASA and not worrying how to get my Candy Crush app back on my home screen!  I've owned an iPhone for a few years and am still unable to sync it....except for the time I was doing dishes while trying to text and it slipped......! Today I decided to order a new TiVo...(another technological device that I could not live without but am only able to operate the inaugural version.)  This model will allow me to tape 4 shows at one time.........................but their seasons may well have ended by the time I learn how to do it!
I really want to take on these challenges and be the cool senior citizen (another oxymoron) that can talk on the phone, watch TV and update all my cool devices without appearing demented and incapable.  I fear my biggest challenge will be the admission that there are things I cannot do.  I do, however; know that adding 7 + 6 makes 13 and has nothing to do with art or ten..of this I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment