Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Kids get off "Scott" free.....

A little nip is in the air....  32 degrees this morning on the bank as I weaved my way through buses, backpacks and builders.  Some kids were bundled up in jackets and hats while others were marching into school with tank tops and shorts.  It's kind of sad that the 1000+ students in our schools aren't sent off on their day with a warm breakfast, a kiss on the cheek and the once over!  I'm sure most of my generation remembers that.  That was back "in the day" when you could actually tell the teachers from the students and the students actually were taught to care about what they looked like......at home!  Maybe in my Jr. and Sr. year we had teachers who occasionally donned a pair of jeans but most still had the shirt and tie..... jackets were fading but the attire was appropriate to earn respect.  Even as I type I'm thinking what an old fuddy duddy I've turned out to be.  It just doesn't seem right that when you lift your arms, your belly should show and I will never get the whole droopy drawers syndrome...I don't ever want to see your underwear and I surely never want to see your ass.  Who lets a child leave the house for anywhere, much less school, dressed like that? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not really a pro uniform kind of gal but I get the perks. I also know the "some people have to work for a living" argument is being screamed at me vociferously but really we could use a few more Dads like Scott Mackintosh from Utah He understood that a picture, or a family outing, is worth a thousand lectures. He explained: "I'm a firm believer that the way we dress sends messages about us, and it influences the way we and others act," Mackintosh wrote in a blog post explaining his action. "My teenage daughter day after day continues to wear clothing that I, as her father, feel is inappropriate and immodest."
Unfortunately, as my Mother always preached, "You're judged by the company you keep" and more often than not....by the way you dress.  It doesn't take money. It actually doesn't even take brains.  It's mostly a matter of self respect......and once again...common sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment