Monday, January 21, 2013

The Inauguration

As I was perusing Face Book yesterday there was a post from one of the news agencies offering the menu for today's inaugural luncheon. The usual...lobster and its companion side dishes.  I made a comment (shocker) something like, "Can you spell deficit?" and I was immediately answered by, "Can YOU spell private donations?"  ..................game on!  So our two-way debate became a 3, 4 and so on.  Some people understood my angst about those private donations and the fact they they were the helpful soles who bought him the presidency in the first place. Others were appalled that some couldn't grasp the fact that public works employees, police, etc were working double and triple time (on our dollar) to keep our Capitol all safe and pretty for the parade and the cameras..  Others were just plain disgusted that it was even a conversation.  "Couldn't we just leave it alone and be happy for the President?"  Probably not!  To me, it so reeks of just another award show.  I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I'd see a red carpet somewhere.  Lots of reports about who FLOTUS is wearing and doesn't her new hairdo look wonderful.  I think we might be losing the reason for all the hullabaloo. I must admit I did watch 4 years ago but I'll also admit I won't be watching today.  "Old Grandma" (as Bailee calls me) believes that Inaugural festivities and celebrations are much like baby showers, You only get one for the first baby...when and if the second arrives, you continue using the old stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment