Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sing it sista!!

One of our goals for the cottage was to learn an appreciation for music...."my" music, Broadway music.  The fact that I'm "old" is solidified every day.  At least once a day I'm addressed as "Old Grandma!"  I've come to realize it's an endearing term and I'm adjusting.  When I'm spoken to as "Old Grandma with a mustache, I get cranky! Old Grandma wants to show young Bailee that there are some pretty cool songs other than Call me Maybe.  BC (before cottage) I introduced the Sound of Music to Miss B.  Do Re Mi was an instant hit.  Thankfully her reading abilities allowed her to read along with a song sheet and she loved it... We danced and so'd, drank our ti and ran fa!  No just sitting and singing here, we're an animated team.

Upon moving into the cottage, classic Broadway began.  We've been working on West Side Story.  There's a current TV commercial using "I Feel Pretty" so we began our trip to the west side with that one.  I try to explain the story of the show so she actually understands a little about each album (yes folks, this a step back to 33 rpm's and a turntable.)  I decided the gang mentality wasn't exactly what I wanted to portray so we just stuck with a love story and a dose of reality that not all of them end happily.

Our next musical adventure sent us straight to River City. Oh we had trouble, right there in River City, that starts with T and that rhymes with P and that stands for pool. A new instant favorite.  Call me Maybe is h-i-s-t-o-r-y!!  We've decided that she needs to learn how to snap her fingers. That's "super important if we're going to do these songs correctly!" ( What 6 year old says correctly?) Old Grandma's fingers don't allow for the proper finger snapping volume so this is on the top of our "to do" list! We only had time for one Music Man tune before supper so we'll revisit River City soon. Others on our list include: Brigadoon, My Fair Lady, South Pacific, Cabaret and even Hair....Old Grandma and her old classmates sang Aquarius (from that show) at their graduation.  It'll definitely be a fun off Broadway season for us and maybe, just maybe, a couple of tickets for the Merry-Go-Round theater are in our future.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment