Wednesday, August 8, 2012

To Be..or Not to Be

Once again as I lay in bed last night, I was thinking about my friend Kyle spending the day with her grandson yesterday...No Mommy or Daddy or even Grandpa.  Just one on one Grandma/Jack time!!Thinking about what an awesome time in our lives..right now is!  ........and thinking about some of my friends and family that have consciously or due to circumstances beyond their control chosen (maybe chosen isn't the right word)  not to have children. Those who made that choice are intellectual, compassionate people who undoubtedly gave it much thought. Often careers or personalities or even age have contributed to this life decision.  I wholeheartedly support their decisions....................BUT...................then a horrible thought overcame me.... These same intellectual, compassionate people will never be grandmas and grandpas.  I can't imagine life without this opportunity I have cherished for almost 6 years. I sometimes think I just might spoil her a little too much (some have said she really didn't need an iPod, laptop and a Nook at 5.....who asked you, Jeff? :-)  Then I see what a smart, caring, perceptive little whippersnapper she is and I can answer with surety..."Nope she's good!"   I provide my share of wisdom, humor and discipline as well... Hopefully, she'll always remember our times reading and singing, the silly things we always do and the time Grandma cancelled the Florida trip for a less than stellar report card (behaviour not academics) and a mischievous prank is the school bathroom....at 5...really? (Believe me. that hurt me as much as it hurt her:-(  Nonetheless, I'm sad that my friends and family that made that choice "not to be", will never experience the unconditional joy that being someone's Grandma gives me.  I guess if they ever tune in to my blog, they can get their dose of Grandma stories..or maybe overdose!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment