Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Savings by Surfing

Shopping around actually pays!!  When we were in the process of building our house, I shopped....a LOT.  I had decided that I wasn't going to skimp on what I really wanted so I knew I needed to hit the Internet.  I found some beautiful marble tile that I wanted for the great room entry.... It was only a 10 by4 ft area so not too bad.  It was going to be $4?.00 PER TILE... It was exactly what I wanted so I began to search....and I found it at half the price... I started my entire decorative designs with a single, colorful, glass trim ring for our recessed lighting.. It had all the subtle colors for my room, oranges, red, greens and ambers.....by the time I finished searching, I had found the chandelier for the dining area and the entry, the sconces to flank the sliding doors, the pendant lights over the sink and even the giant ceiling fan lights...  Anyway, you get my point.... surfing is literally priceless... I bought all of our sinks online, my draperies, rods and some of the tile.  The sites for tile are amazing.  You can even design your own patterns and colors....So...here's an example of savings by surfing.

I bought beautiful walnut cabinets for the kitchen.  With the kitchen being part of the Great Room, I wanted to incorporate all kinds of elements to the room...wood, metal, leather, fabric, glass.  I decided I wanted the old fashioned glass door knobs and pulls...... so I searched....They were just coming back into style and the Home Stores (Lowe's and Home Depot) were beginning to carry them for $15.00.. for 2.... Yikes, I needed a lot!  So I searched online...Hmmm..Miles Kimball...really? I ended up buying them for $8.?? for packs of 4 knobs or 2 pulls.... Much better.  This week we got a new buffet at the auction.... The drawer pulls were hideous...So back on my board I climbed (my broom was already parked) to search for ones to match the kitchen.
Here were my discoveries:

Van Dyke's Restorers                                              Pulls      $12.49           Knobs        $8.49   a piece
       ( 9 colors)

Home Depot/Lowe's                                                 Pulls      $ 8.99             Knobs        $3.98   a piece

Miles Kimball ON SALE                                        Pulls      $ 1.92 for 2    Knobs       $1.92 for 4
                                                                                                          PRICELESS

With the popular look of vintage Victorian glass, our knobs and pulls update everything from bedroom dressers to kitchen cabinets - transforming flea market finds into cherished treasures. Knobs (Set of 4): 1" long x 1" wide x 1 1/4" high. Pulls (Set of 2): 4 1/4" long x 1 1/4" wide x 1 1/4" high.
$11.99
Sale: $1.92
With the popular look of vintage Victorian glass, our knobs and pulls update everything from bedroom dressers to kitchen cabinets - transforming flea market finds into cherished treasures. Knobs (Set of 4): 1" long x 1" wide x 1 1/4" high. Pulls (Set of 2): 4 1/4" long x 1 1/4" wide x 1 1/4" high.
$11.99
Sale: $1.92
I never left the house, I didn't spend a nickel on gas, I found exactly what I needed/wanted  and I saved $142.00 from Renovators, $ 65.00 from Home Depot. Now I can afford to go buy something else:-)  Lucky me, I can shop till I drop...as I'm already in my chair!!

Don't panic.. the walls really aren't lime green...actually gold..kind of..

No comments:

Post a Comment