Friday, April 19, 2013

Glued to TV

Here I am glued to my TV. I awoke to texts of concern for a friend in MA........again. It's the syndrome that draws us to disaster and conflict.  We can't bear to watch and we can't bear not to.  This morning, news is rapidly changing and new info becomes available minute by minute. I find myself holding my breath..I can't imagine how the professionals are managing.  On one hand, I am grasping at every morsel of news and on the other wondering how (and why) the media wants to be in harm's way.  I would hate to get the scoop first hand and be given an award....posthumously. I guess it's their job and they're doing it.

I'm defending my position (literally).  I went from TV in bed, to TV at the local diner to TV at the shop and now back home to TV...it's human nature....or so I'm constantly telling myself....and you!

I've always thought I was tolerant.  Today, I am less so.  I do not want to be racist.  Today, I am more so.  I do not want to think I would profile someone by their looks.  From now on, I will be more suspicious of those who are not like me....that being white, American and simple.  Today I am sad because of these changes and I am mad because my nature is to trust and like people. I was raised and have chosen to live, in communities where I know most everyone, I like most everyone and I trust most everyone.  The thing I hate the most is our proverbial loss of  innocence. Damn you, terrorists for making us sad, uncomfortable, and scared.  How can we be expected to teach our youngsters tolerance when our lives are consumed by suspicion.

I can remember several times when my day was consumed by live TV. The OJ and Anthony trials, 9-1-1, Princess Di's death, the explosion of the space shuttle and even back to the death of Kennedy and the subsequent live, on the air, shooting of Lee Harvey Oswald.  I remember those days vividly.  I can't, however; remember what I did yesterday!!

On days such as these, I find it necessary to touch base with my family...often. I will continue to watch.  Some of the media is on their bellies reporting from their cell phones.  I continue to be glued to my TV. This human nature thing is killing me.

Hoping tomorrow this will have an ending.  Unfortunately, for many, it's only the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment