Monday, April 22, 2013

Earth Day

Today is Earth Day....It's inception was also the year I graduated from high school (1970).  The year I set forth on this earth as a bona fide, educated, adult....ok, maybe not.  It is, however, the year I knew everything!! I was ready to take on the world...the world, on the other hand, had a different plan in mind.
The idea of Earth Day has stuck though.  Throughout the past 43 years (holy cow, I've been and adult that long), our attention to the earth, it's preservation and our job as caretakers has stuck! We're all much more attuned to the fact that how we treat things has a direct affect on how long things serve us and how well.  This applies to so much more than the just the earth! I hate to admit that Al Gore might be right about anything....but he is.
Last fall, Bailee chose to have a birthday party centered around the earth (world). We had hanging globes, world maps and even a birthday cake that was the world,  I guess the sooner we bring the importance of how we treat things into the lives of our youngsters, the better off we'll all be. (wow, I sound old.)  Respect is learned virtue and therefore must be taught. We're the teachers! Living in the "country" has given me a new found respect for nature (the earth) and all that it encompasses. Yesterday, we were "fresh air" kids for the afternoon. We climbed mountains, swung on our favorite monkey ropes, hunted for fiddleheads, unearthed salamanders, marveled at our spring flowers and appreciated all that our little piece of heaven on earth have to offer us here at EIEIO.  When Bailee made it to the top of her mountain, she exclaimed in her great big outdoor voice, "This is the best day of my life!" What on earth can be better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment