Monday, May 2, 2016

Only took 64 years!

Last week was Spring Break  (obviously Mother Nature didn't get the memo.)  Bailee had her friend Reagan over for a sleepover at Grandma's. The plan was originally to sleep out in the cottage.  They spent some time in the theater and the plan changed to sleeping down there.  By sleeping there, if they happened to wake up in the middle of the night, they could just watch a movie.  As it was beginning to grow dark, they decided they'd head outdoors to swing and commune a bit with nature.  I suggested they be in the house by 8:00.  They bargained for 8:30.  At 8:31, they scrambled through the door, eyes as big as saucers, rambling on about something white in the woods!  They exclaimed in their 9 year old voices that "Slender Man" was in the woods.  Really?  "Who the hell is Slender Man?"  A bit disgruntled that they had to explain this phenomenon to me, I acquiesced that it, indeed might have been Slender Man and it was probably best that they stay inside.  No argument ensued!  Once again, the sleeping destination changed.  They were now sleeping in the living room, comfortably close to where the adults were bedding!  The best laid plans of ice cream in the middle of the night and a movie marathon dwindled as 2 little cherubs were sound asleep by 9:30.




Morning arrived and I awoke to Bailee staring at me asking if it was time to get up.... It was now!  I got to listen to stories of sleep walking, sleep talking, snoring and thankfully no Slender Man sightings!  We had breakfast and dropped the girls off at Bailee's for a dental appt.  Now there's a real bummer in the middle of Spring vacation!!!   Back to Grandma's after ice cream.  Every child should have ice cream directly after a dental cleaning!! ( oops)  Once again, outside was the preferred destination. No arguments from me... Anything that takes their eyes of a screen for an extended period of time is A-OK in my book.  Soon they decided it was time to head back inside. They scurried through my den door leaving a trail of mud, leaves and freshly cut grass.   "WHOA," bellered!! They stopped in their tracks and looked down where I was pointing.  In an instant, as I looked at their red cheeks and guilty little smiles, I thought to myself,  "Really? They've been outside swinging, laughing and singing.  They haven't been stuck inside glued to some electronic device.  You have a broom! It's only leaves and grass. They're NINE! Sweep it up!"

It only took 64 years to figure out that they were here, they'd made me smile for 2 days and I was perfectly capable of sweeping some grass into a dustpan.  I sent them on their way (minus their shoes) and smiled as I took 1 minute from my very busy day to clean up some childhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment