Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Politics makes Strange Bedfellows!

Charles Dudley Warner said that.....pretty smart fellow I'd say.  He died in 1900 and was a literary pal of Mark Twain. (I'm sure Charlie was a name dropper way back then too.) It's always kind of interesting (at least to me) to research those unknowns whose comments lived on long after they were forgotten... Surprise...Charles was born in Massachusetts but as a young boy moved to Cazenovia, N.Y.  Even more surprising. He graduated from Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y. (I'm sure the bedfellows and "Clinton" are purely coincidental ;-)

Charles was a bit of a soothsayer.  Another of his famous quotes was, "Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it!" He seemed to have a handle on the buzzwords of life in any century, politics and weather.

Nobody knows his name, I'm sure. He wrote many books and essays and seem to have a pragmatic way of looking at nearly everything.  His two long living quotes have made it to the 21st century. I wonder how that works....(yes Bailee, that's a rhetorical question .......my little smarty pants!)  What quotes from this year's political fray do you think will live on in infamy? I'm hoping it's "Let's Make America Great Again!"  I'm part of the outraged majority that is so fed up with politics, which I basically enjoy, and the intelligent minority, who say, "seriously?" to me...a lot!

Super Tuesday is next week and we will see what fallout occurs from that one day.  Bedfellows may become stranger and like the weather, we may all complain.  Depending on your side of the issues, the weather may get brighter or we may be in for one hell of a storm... Either way, it won't be for the faint of heart and the weak of mind.  People are talking who never liked politics. People are listening who never cared what they heard and people will be voting who never, ever voted before....Those are all very good things! As Sidney Poitier once said, "If I'm remembered for having done a few good things, and if my presence here has sparked some good energies, that's plenty!"   right on Sidney...and Donald!

No comments:

Post a Comment