Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Lead by Example

Well, it seems I have a bit of a reputation as being the grammar police. I cringe daily when folks write things like:  "Are family went to the zoo today." or "There the nicest people in town."  I really wince when "Jim went to dinner with Susie and I."  There are such simple rules to guide you.  Elementary and high school English provided many of them.  I've lightened up on spelling, we all make those mistakes occasionally..... but I've realized that speaking incorrectly leads to writing incorrectly.  The crux of the problem....leading by example or being a role model.  This pertains to life in general.  If you sit at the table with folks leaning all over it, chewing with their mouths open, reaching in front of others and handling their utensils improperly, there's a good chance you'll do the same.  Last night Bailee was shoveling up a piece of ham. I reminded her to turn her fork and hold it correctly. She knows how, she was just being lazy.  Her Grandfather asked her if she thought she would be able to sit at a table properly and eat a meal with the President.  (Poor example but I got his drift)  He explained that if you do things correctly, it becomes second nature and you don't even have to think about it. He said, "You're lucky you have a grandma and gramps that are good role models!"  I sort of choked a bit and waited for what I knew was coming.  "You mean like hiding Johnny Walker in your coffee mug and smoking?"  Kids today are pretty observant and pretty smart...at least this one.  It does however, prove my point..... If you lead (teach) by example, they'll usually just get it...and vice versa!
I remember my Mom always telling me that it doesn't take any longer to do things correctly than incorrectly....true story. Now don't get me wrong, I make mistakes all the time but I also re-read most everything I write and if I am questioning a spelling or usage, I look it up.  The sad part is that so many don't realize what they're saying or writing is incorrect. Maybe we should take a little more time in school (and home) to learn the basics.  The paper we waste by using five and six lines to figure out a simple math problem could be used to write poignant paragraphs of prose....in cursive!
And remember, if it takes a village to raise a child, we're ALL teachers. Let's lead by example!

No comments:

Post a Comment