Thursday, May 28, 2015

Fowl weather

Well the weather has certainly been fowl around here.  We have chickens to the right , ducks to the left and turkeys stuck in the middle.  Ducks are the messiest creatures EVER! These four gems have outgrown their quarters and are missing accessible water 24/7.  We have many ideas for their new digs but we hate to set it all up and have to remove everything when the barn arrives.  Poor planning on my part and I generally pride myself on my planning skills.  I also didn't figure in the fact that I would be a one legged fowl keeper ....this has made me a little extra cranky and my family a tad more edgy to say the least.  The ducks are so much fun to watch but Lee remarked this morning that we need to sell them...So, then what will we watch?  We still find pleasure scoping out the chickens as they all have different but interesting personalities......even though they aren't really "persons!"  Dick and Steve have daily competitions to see who can nail more girls in a day. Steve's crow is louder but while he wins the crowing contest, I think Dick is younger, faster and much more virile. I now know exactly why the house of ill repute in the movie/Broadway show,  "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" was called the chicken ranch! If only I could be Miss Mona and collect the fees..... I could hire someone to do the chores. I'm struggling trying to decide if I'd rather be Old McDonald's wife or the Madame at the chicken ranch. My body says you already ARE Old McDonald's wife and you can dream of flying on those ceilings fans all you want but the only thing turnin' at EIEIO are the wheels on your walker. ( Sad but true) The decision's been made.  We'll just have to bide our time till the barn arrives and the plan comes together.  By then it'll be near fall and I'll have a whole new set of complications to "deal about!"  For now, it's just the fowl weather that keeps me groanin' and goin'!




1 comment:

  1. Compared to my goose, ducks are cleaner. We too have one goose, one duck who think he's a chicken cuz he was hatched by a chicken and now goes by the name of Chuck the duck, 2 guineas and 5 chickens. In the brooder box I have 30 more but there's 5 guineas and the rest are banti chickens because we are having coyote problems and I want my flock to roost in the trees to get away from the monster that's eating them.
    A new barn sounds exciting.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete