Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Eagle has landed

I finally decided to investigate the nest yesterday. While it is still way too snowy and way too cold for me to take any feasible form of transportation directly to Eagle Point, I did take the warm way out and park along the road with my camera and binoculars in hand.  I pulled as far onto the shoulder of the snow packed road as possible, flipped on my hazard lights, rolled the window down enough for my lens to zoom and located the nest.  There it was, that big beautiful white head.  No idea from that distance if it was Millard or Abigail but I really didn't care...The sit in had begun!  Later, at suppertime, Abigail came for dinner and a spent a bit of time gathering nesting materials. She grabbed some swale from beside the stream (it's a ditch but I prefer to call it a stream as it houses herons, ducks, geese, beavers and muskrats) and worked tirelessly pulling out a few old cornstalks to take back to the nest.  Following shortly behind her was Millard who appeared pretty hungry too. They both seemed to have their fill of venison and returned to the nest for nighttime... Our temperatures don't appear to be conducive to any kind of incubation so I am hoping that eagle body heat will do the trick.  If she has laid the eggs, we should be seeing chick heads pop up within the next 25-35 days.... 35 from the date they were laid is the incubation period. I fear they may freeze if they have been in the nest for longer than a couple weeks. I am now extremely anxious for some warmer temps to settle in.  The leaves help to camouflage the nest and protect the babies as well as shelter them from the elements. 
I really need to get the drone going and practice a bit so I don't  crash it or kill them. I would need extensive therapy should that occur and I doubt my health care covers burder by drone.
Will keep you posted on things at the birternity ward!

Abigail :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment