Friday, April 2, 2021

7th Decade

 Well, that was fast!  Seems like we had just built a new house and were moving on from my hometown (Locke.)  Those 13 years flew and here I am beginning my 7th decade on this planet at my favorite place.  It's actually quite surreal and hard to wrap my aging brain around. Everything outside of me knows I'm absolutely in my 70th year...while everything, except a part of my brain, is still trying to make me believe that I have a wonderful memory, can dance with the best of them, am able to actually run a bit and am able to get off the ground all by myself.  Those things are all behind me. Gravity is no longer my friend and wanting to do something versus actually accomplishing it is merely an unattainable goal. Although, even at 69, goals are a good thing!  My goals now are to remember which night my favorite shows are on, to spend quality time with my grandkids, to keep a sufficient supply of toilet paper and diet Pepsi and to pay my bills on time.  I have come to terms that I will forever need a calendar, a list of my passwords and usernames, my phone within reach, my dearest friends nearby and my eyes on the road at all times.  I can, however, still sing along to the radio without fear of other drivers' glances or hand gestures.... remember, I'm watching the road and no longer care how silly I might look!!

This new decade does have its perks. I no longer feel the need to hold in my stomach(s!) Hair dye isn't necessary as white and gray are signs of age and wisdom.  I can write in cursive and do math without a calculator. I am keenly aware that the 60s were my favorite years with no worries, politics NOT a thing in my purview, someone cooked and cleaned for me and the music STILL far surpassed anything I've heard since.  I make few apologies, I stand my ground (ok, maybe wobble a bit,) I can substantiate my opinions and when I am finished doing ANYTHING....that's the end of the story.

I will try to be an optimistic septuagenarian!  I'm breathing, ambulatory and cognizant of the world around me. I must continue to keep my household in order, raise Bailee to the very best of my ability, keep on top of Jeff's healthcare and live long enough to share in college "grand"uations! Lofty goals indeed but on my radar nonetheless! 

Right now, I just need to make the bathroom:-0

No comments:

Post a Comment