Wednesday, March 24, 2021

End of an Era

 We are officially out of the bird business.  All our fowl friends that hadn't ended up in bird heaven have been relocated to a new home... All together so they will know birds there....we aren't up for having to have our birds in therapy because we abandoned them.

Jeff worked diligently over the week-end to take all of the pens down and they headed off to new locations to house other birds.  I must admit, I don't miss the mismatch of dog pen panels, steel roofing, netting and chicken wire that adorned the barn.  It resembled a homeless shelter for the less fortunate.

Now for the interior of the barn to be cleaned and serve as a cool wood shop for Jeff.  The floors are linoleum and will work great for sweeping wood shavings. He has many tools that can be set up permanently for a multitude of projects.  I have many in mind ;-)

I will miss Penny and Baby and the girls keeping us tick free but I will NOT miss the poop on the stoop....every stoop.  They were fun for many years and fresh eggs were great but I can still afford to buy eggs and the hobby farm was losing its intrigue.

It's probably time in our lives to simplify things when we can. I'm even making an effort to clean storage in the basement and pare down what hasn't been used in the last 10-13 years.  I'm not quite sure where this sterling silver should go and I'm down to just a dozen boxes (from 63) from Hewitt Brothers and 940 Main Street. SO hard to just "throw things away!"  Sadly, GenX has no desire for any stuff from years past. It's understandable but disheartening. I've quilted what memories I can and there are thousands of pictures so I guess I'm the one who must reckon with throwing away the past or donating it to someone else.

It seems it's harder to make decisions as we age.  Things were harder to come by in our "day" and this generation has less appreciation for what was...maybe that's our fault too.

Anyway, it's the end of an era in the pet department at EIEIO. Time for spring cleanup and soon....lawn mowing, one of my favorite things!

No comments:

Post a Comment