Monday, April 1, 2019

New beginnings

January 1st is generally the beginning of a new year... I think birthdays are the beginning of a new year so today would be mine.  I have always been a big fan of birthdays and enjoy each and every one... Today is bittersweet but sweet nonetheless.  In the last few weeks, I have learned to be grateful for each and every day. I do believe that life is what you make it but often the circumstances that surround us make it a bit tougher than we anticipated. 
My wonderful friend, Kyle with whom I cooed, cried and pooped in the nursery 67 years ago tomorrow, gave me a book of quotes today.  Each one is appropriate for life with its ups and downs. Abe Lincoln penned: "I have simply tried to do what seemed best each day, as each day came."  Me too. I have wonderful successes and disappointing failures.  I am trying to smile through them all and know that I really did try to do my very best in all aspects of the past 67 years.  I believe I was a good daughter. I tried to do all the things that were required and expected of me with love. I believe I was/am a good wife.  I know I could be kinder and more patient ... I'm still a wife in progress. I believe I was/am a good Mom.  I tried to teach right from wrong, good from bad and being kind versus being a jerk.  Some sunk in, some did not. I believe I am a good Grandma.  I love them both unconditionally and forever.  I will always do what I can for them and hope it's not too much or too little. 
I am slowly learning that what happens in life is often out of my control and not a consequence of something I did wrong.  I am also learning that how I am treated is NOT always fair and not necessarily a product of reaping what I sowed.  Some would never consciously have made the choices they did.....others absolutely do.  Some learn from their weaknesses others continue to destroy with lingering malice. 
Charles Dickens says: "Reflect upon your present blessings - of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some." Today I will count my blessings...many of which include some wonderful family members and a spectacular circle of true friends.  You know who you are ♥  Happy Birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment