Thursday, April 6, 2017

Fives are wild!

Five is a lucky number for the family this year.  I was just 65, Jess is 35 today and Mom will be 95 in a couple of weeks and has been at the Groton Care Center for 5 years.  Bailee is just finishing up 5th grade and 5 is the number of times I walk into the kitchen most days and have no idea why the hell I'm there! I did tell my architect that there really was no logical reason to take up space with an entire kitchen as a refrigerator could fit in any other room in the house and disguising a microwave was a piece of cake !!!   He just uttered, "resale!"

I remember being a wee bit depressed when I reached the age of 55 thinking the speed limit and I had anything in common.  I began getting the AARP magazine and my card came with a canvas bag that would hold my medications and an extra pair of Depends. I fooled them, I used it for my camera, my phone, cash and peanut butter cups! All I ever really need in life.....especially at 55.  60 came and went without incident.  65 was spent in my new vehicle for 13.5 hours with Lee and Bailee and Sirius radio blasting tunes from the 50's (and 60's).  I knew most of the words but the crackling voice of a 65 year slightly mortified my 10 year old (which by the way is 5+5.) By drinking and eating barely nothing for the entire day, I was able to survive the journey with only a few pee stops and no elderly accidents.  Although most of my friends and family who travel anywhere with me, know that when I say "we need to stop!"...................we need to stop now...not in 5 minutes or 5 miles. We have an actual 5 second rule for almost anything involving me!

As I age, it seems I like dinner around 5, wake up at 5 and pee about 5 times a day. I take 5 pills a day including a vitamin and a joint supplement and it takes me about 5 lunges to get out of my recliner if I've been sitting longer than 5 minutes.

Tonight the family is coming for dinner to celebrate the end of Jess's 35th year. There are 5 items on the menu and I've placed 5 utensils at each place-setting just to flip everybody out. I have a number 3 candle and I've rounded up 5 singles to place on the annual ice cream cake. It will take 55 minutes to prepare dinner and 5 minutes to eat it.  I'll get 5 high fives, a drool-filled Jett kiss and a Bailee hug when they all leave and it will take me a flat 5 minutes to load the dishwasher and head to my desk where I'll download the 25 pictures of a successful family, birthday dinner and share them on Face Book!  That will be the instant I have "cinq" into my chair for a 5 minute nap!

6 will be a story for another year!




No comments:

Post a Comment