Thursday, November 17, 2016

A decade....WOW

Bailee is 10 years old today.  A decade has literally flown by.  Every day that I spend with her is the most wonderful day....even when she's a pill..... (My Mom's favorite word for being "out of sorts!)  My Mom and my Grandma Hewitt definitely had old school views.... When you were a pill at Grandma's, you got prune juice for breakfast. When you were a pill at my house (as a child,) you got an ENEMA....  They both professed it got " the nastiness out of you!"  That it did!!!!!!

Bailee and I have had some amazing times....just the two of us.  We have our own little cottage where we've danced, sung, played games and read.  We are avid movie goers and we always try to outsmart each other with movie trivia on the way home..... She's very good!!!!!  She knows the importance of keeping my "old brain" in good working order. We know each other well enough to read a glance, anticipate a reaction, laugh at each others ridiculous jokes, rub backs, arms, hands and even tummies if need be and snuggle when it's needed and wanted.  We know when it's time to be 10 and time to act 2. We know when holding hands in public is OK and when it's absolutely NOT! We know what's appropriate and what's "apparently not!"  We know the importance of being kind and the affects from those who are not!

She is a great reader and loves history.  She retains things I forget instantly and is able to recall them at the appropriate time.  She knows the difference between, to, two and too, you're and your, there, they're and their and she calls me "Grammar" instead of Grandma....often. She writes Thank you notes!!!!!!! She's in the will for just this alone!

I am so sad that my Dad never got to know her.  He would have scolded her when needed, squeezed her knees till she bellowed, praised her accomplishments and warned her of life's pitfalls. He'd have loved her unconditionally.

I asked her the other day what 3 things she was most thankful for.... "Mom, Grandma and Food."  The highest of compliments to have made the list!

I can't wait to see what the next 10 years will bring.  Bailee is definitely her own person and is often not in the "in crowd."  She accepts that with relief as sometimes that path is clickie and unkind. She loves winter more than summer, is about as coordinated as a snake trying to bowl, she's bright, beautiful and makes me smile at the tiniest of things. An out of the blue I love you text is the best thing ever....and I love her with my whole ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment