Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Functioning

 Functioning is described as the normal and specific contribution of a bodily part to the economy of a living organism.......to carry on an action!  To date, I am a functioning female human. In other words, I am contributing my bodily parts to the economy of a living organism...this family! It doesn't get more mundane than that!  At nearly 70, I had hoped to be more than just functioning. On the other hand, I should be be ecstatic that I am able to function and all parts are doing their job.  I just didn't realize I would be the main contributor.....for so many!  The sad part is that a person can function in the place between happy and unhappy. That space offers a level of calm and balance. It holds an evenness, a place of moderation that allows one to do their job well while experiencing the dysfunction and unrest that possibly exists in their life. Many folks prefer to just simply exist and accept it.  Many circumstances don't allow for the opportunity to change what is... so they just continue to function.  The entire premise is frankly...sad. I guess it's like the Serenity Prayer simply stating you should be able to accept the things you can't change, change the things you can and be smart enough to know which is which..

This place between happy and unhappy is like floating just above a stream of lava.  It's warm, comfortable and relaxing but you know just one wrong move (not necessarily on your part) will drop you into an unhappy hell that may hold you forever.  I'm vaguely sure that the golden years were touted as more than merely functioning.

I'm not really complaining (ok maybe a little) as some of my decisions are totally on me. I am happy to be able to provide a safe haven for my family, I am happy that I have saved wisely and can offer a modicum of comfort for us all and that our retirement home is in a beautiful spot. We are surrounded by nature in both floral and fauna and a little slice of calm resides here too.

So I guess function is all relative(s). I will be content to reside in this place between happy and unhappy and function to the best of my ability. Life isn't perfect and sadly is short but it sometimes beats the alternative. It does seem blatantly obvious that Form Follows Function (structures are formed in direct correlation to what they are meant to do!)

No comments:

Post a Comment