Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Nurse's Week

Soooo many nurses in my family.... My Mom, SIL, DIL, nieces, aunts, cousins and friends. I have experienced caring nurses in every level of care from finger sticks to dialysis, stitches to surgeries and new life to compassionate death. You would think this everyday interaction would harden even the softest souls... you couldn't be more wrong!  you all!

With so many family members involved in the nursing profession, you'd think my dream, like other little girls, would be to join the crowd.  Nope...hospitals are my least favorite place in the world.  Pretty much until Bailee was born, all my hospital experiences sucked.  It always seemed to involve being cut open, stitched up or dying. In no instance, did I have any control!  I like being in control which I'm sure comes as no shock to anyone who might be purposefully or even by mistake.. reading this!  I live vicariously through Olivia Pope! I like to fix things. For that reason you might think, "Well, nurses fix things!"  Yep, they do the very best they can to make nasty situations better, to compensate for the lack of most Doctors semblance of bedside manner and they clean up feces and puke! ......but it's wasn't the fix I was looking for!  Thankfully, it was the fix many of my relatives and friends were......!

So many things I recall about my nurses:

At an early age I learned that an enema can transform a cantankerous child into a beautiful flower girl!

Allergy shots were best given by the local veterinarian's wife who made all things better!

Some nurses have flawless skill when drawing blood...others should only draw pictures!

Good nurses pretend to look away when weighing you in....but the number miraculously still finds it way to your chart!

Some nurses read way too much into each symptom and suggest the ER versus Pepto Bismol. :-(

One NP I know and love has the virtuous quality of entering her field "to help her friends and family" and make them feel better!

Some nurses are so empathetic they practice palliative and hospice care.....REMARKABLE!

Nurses do most of the work........................period!

Nurses make the world go round.....and round.....and round...and when you fall, they pick you up and fix what hurts... 

....So let's remember, they need compassion too..... Happy Nurse's Week to all those who chose to make us feel better....





No comments:

Post a Comment