Monday, October 20, 2014

In the Cloud

In this amazing age of technology, we have the opportunity to store everything in The Cloud.  Our documents, our blogs and most importantly our photos. The savvy gurus of the Internet extol the virtues of The Cloud in all it's glory.  The weather predictors all explain that along with the sun must come the clouds....it's the balance of nature. Well, I'm here to tell you that cloudy isn't always a good thing.  With the advancement of Science and Medicine comes the cataract and it's demise.  As you know, or maybe don't, cataracts are the clouding over of the lens in your eye...It's pretty much like drawing a sheer curtain over a window that invites you to a clear, sunny day.  Not really all that wonderful.  I remember my Dad having his "sheers" removed.  It entailed a hospital stay, limited or no activity for days...even weeks, patches on his eyes, repeated Dr. visits and days of rest. Wow, what a difference a few decades make.  I had surgery on my left eye (right done 2 years ago) last Wednesday.  Jeff unloaded me at outpatient Surgicare in Ithaca @ 6:15 a.m......first patient of the day.  After "checking in" and answering the same questions I had answered 4 times in the past 4 days, I was ushered to my bed, given a multitude of drops, asked the exact same questions again and poked in preparedness for a little "happy juice!"  More drops, same questions again from the anesthesiologist ( a peach of a guy) and the wheeled into the O.R. for a 5 minute slice and dice. Wheeled back out, given a little ginger ale to take a couple of pills and on my way home at 8:15.  No pain and the sheers had been pulled.  A day of lying low and continuing drops and I was good to go with no restrictions..... The only down side to the entire procedure is that my glasses (left lens anyway) aren't even remotely close to what I need.  Where before I had to have my phone nearly touching my nose to read texts, I now find I need my arms to be about 3 inches longer.  No new prescription until my return visit in 2 weeks... then wait for them to be made.  So for now it's bigger fonts, a little more TV and a little less reading, swatting at gnats in the air that are really just floaters from surgery and enjoying the fact that life can be better without the cloud! Take that Apple... it really does keep the Dr. away!Cataracts - Image © A.D.A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment