Monday, July 11, 2022

The title is....."Entitled"!

 My favorite day of the week is Monday (as many of you know!)  A normal schedule resumes and life goes on....as hoped!

  Bailee and her grandfather returned from the National Trap Shooting Tourney in Michigan.  The kids did well but none of our four qualified.  There are some pretty awesome shooters throughout the country.  Lots of fun and lessons learned which leads me to believe that they, meaning Bailee, are capable of learning! 

  Today's teenagers are an odd group.  Normal families is/are an oxymoron.... This is a fact and not an assumption. Ours consists of an enabled 72 year old, a healing 43 year old, a pretentious 6 year old, an entitled 15 year old and an aging 70 year old trying to make a cohesive, functioning family from the preceding components.  It ain't easy!

  Circumstances surrounding each member are a story in itself.  Let's just take the teenager.......please. I ask for 4 small things from this person. From one who knows everything (being the child) and the other who knows nothing (being me,) these four asks should be relatively simple. They are not...obviously!

  1. Make your bed  
  2. Close your drawers
  3. Keep your clothes off the floor
  4. Verbalize your life without the F word...constantly and loudly
I understand that life is generational and I'm not in the latest one. In fact, I am so far removed, that these four tasks would never have to even be mentioned in my 1960s household. Not so much in 2022!  If I hear the words "what difference does it make" a few more times, I might likely have the big one!  Sadly, as I have penned before, I have lost the privilege of being a fun Grandma and I obviously haven't earned the status of  ruler of the governing body of this household.  Two things I cannot tolerate...lying and disrespect.  This statement yesterday ( from said teenager) says it all..."I don't show respect for you and you don't show respect for me!"  I'm still sorting this one out.  Respect must be earned...I get that. Even with age, I guess nobody is entitled to respect unless you've earned it. I must be failing on my end somewhere.  Now, on the subject of respecting teenagers....they must manage their emotions, set and achieve goals and earn that respect.... it's NOT a given!! Even if you've been dealt a bad hand, that doesn't entitle you a pass for being disrespectful. Walking on eggshells, not hurting feelings and letting rudeness pass has run its course here. Actions have consequences and I need to step up and deliver them... There should be no bail reform at EIEIO.... free to continue to commit your offense teaches nothing and only proves that this family court isn't doing their job!

Now that I have committed these thoughts to paper, it will be an entirely harder task to bring them to fruition. It's easier for me to make the bed, pick up the clothes, shut the drawers and disregard the F bombs but then I'm just as miserable albeit with a clean room! ... Let's see if I can walk the walk or if I'll continue to just talk the talk.... Pray for me ;-)🙏

No comments:

Post a Comment