Monday, February 20, 2017

Mind Builders

I love Lego's.  My checkbook disagrees with my love of Lego's but I believe they're worth every overpriced penny! Bailee spent an entire week-end constructing a Lego Bat-Cave and Bat-mobile.  There were literally thousands of pieces some as minuscule as a screw head. Three books of step by step instructions, bags of pieces and people and stickers to adhere.  There were even moving parts.  I thought, who in the world imagines these sets and then forms and consolidates the pieces and instructions?  This just might be a worthy profession.  I know that the construction alone instills patience, hand - eye- coordination (I couldn't even pick up one of the tiny pieces,) following intricate instructions, reading and comprehension and spacial acuity.  The biggest, and maybe for me, the most alluring quality is that various forms of technology;  gaming systems, tablets and ipads, pods and phones lay idle for hours.... Thank you Ole Kirk Christiansen for your foresight.  This man and his 12 year old son, invented Lego's, which by the way is Danish for "play well" and coincidentally means "put together" in Latin ...no kidding!!!!!!!  In the 30's, Ole's company produced wooden toys and later invested in a machine to make plastic interlocking blocks in 1947. The modern version of the Lego block was patented in 1958..the same year Ole passed away. They are still made today in over 130 countries around the world and the company is still run by the Christiansen family.  I'm happy to say that the Lego Legacy will live on for many years to come...at least for Bailee .......and me......and hopefully Jett (I'm pretty sure there's a Lego Jet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment